Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Life!

I bet you thought I disappeared for good. Nope! Just been busy with life! It's really not hard to have happen - especially when you're homeschooling a gifted child.

One thing that I've come to see as a constant in our homeschooling journey (it's been about seven years now) is change. If you've read the history of our homeschool on the website you know what I mean. We've been through a number of schooling methods and curricula, all in an attempt to keep up with the ever changing needs of our highly gifted son. Just last week we made another one of those changes.

In talking with those who don't homeschool, they just don't understand why I go to the lengths I do when it comes to schooling our son. First of all I look at it as a privilege and not as the arduous task that they seem to think it is. Well, some days it does feel rather overwhelming, but that's okay. All I have to do is think about what our son would be facing if he were in public school. It wouldn't be pretty. Just thinking about it makes me thank the Lord that we have the honor of being able to teach our son at home.

So this is the second week of our newest schedule and things are actually going much better than I had hoped. Not that I thought things would be bad, but you never know exactly how "change" is going to be taken. This time, at least, it was embraced and for that I am very thankful. When I think about the fact that by law our son will need to be actively educated for the next nine years I take every success as a huge bit of encouragement and lock it away for later when things might get a little bumpy. But for now I'm just trying to enjoy each day that I have with our son as I watch him grow and learn. I really couldn't ask for anything more!

Back to Living Waters Homeschool

No comments: