Sunday, September 30, 2007

Kindergarten in a Flash

As I said last time, after our son devoured his full year of pre-school a very short amount of time, I purchased a full year’s kindergarten curriculum. There were worksheets for him to use, and I knew that I could find lots of interesting things on the internet that could supplement what we would be studying. When the curriculum arrived we were both rather excited.

Up until this time, everything that I had read about children our son’s age was that their attention spans were about 15 – 20 minutes and that a child shouldn’t be expected to go beyond that point. Unfortunately, our son hadn’t read any of that and was quite unaware that he was supposed to last that length of time. Our first day of kindergarten was quite interesting for both of us. Our son loved the curriculum and wanted to look at all of it right then. I explained that we would take it in order and, disappointed though he was, he acquiesced. We got through the first lesson. I started to wrap things up for the day, but our son had other plans.

“More, Mama! Do more!”

“Honey, we’re done for today.”

“No! Do more!”

Well, what can you say to an eager learner? I rolled up my sleeves and we ploughed on, and on, and on! After three hours I told our son that we needed to stop for the day.

“No, Mama! More!”

“No, no more for today.”

“Mama, please!”

“Mama needs a break, Sweetie.”

At this our son gave me the once over, rolled his eyes in disgust as if to say, “Wimp,” and he toddled out of the room. It was then that I knew that we were in for quite a time. After another six weeks and the completion of the kindergarten curriculum, I was about at my wits end. It was then that I started reading up on gifted children, and my eyes were opened.

Back to Living Waters Homeschool

No comments: