Monday, September 24, 2007

Our New Blog Home!

Well, I've finally made the move with our homeschool blog. If you've been a reader of ours you will no doubt have noticed that my consistency in posting has been rather lacking. Well, I'm going to make an effort to post at least once a week to our new blog. I can't make any promises, but that's what I'm shooting for! You can also subscribe to this blog by scrolling to the bottom of the page and clicking on "Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)."

With our son's ninth birthday fast approaching, I've been thinking about our homeschool journey lately. Not only has our son learned a lot, but I've learned a lot, too - about our son, about our family, about myself, and about homeschooling. I'd like to take a look back at our beginnings. Well, our formal homeschool beginnings.

Our children's journey of learning really does start at birth. I remember the times we would spend with our son on the floor, playing with brightly colored toys. At nine months of age our son was sitting on my lap at the computer playing a Dr. Seuss game. Even so, when I think of our homeschool beginnings I have to fast forward to when our son was the ripe old age of 2 1/2.

By this time he knew his shapes, his colors, his numbers, and was doing addition in that little head of his. To be honest, part of my motivation for starting his "formal" education so soon was because I was running out of clever ideas for him, so I figured a nice pre-school curriculum would be of great benefit. Well, it was a mixed blessing.

I still remember when the CD-Rom arrived. There was a full year's pre-school curriculum on it and I quickly printed out the first four weeks' worth of lessons. Each day's instruction was to last about fifteen minutes. I bought poster board and made up posters to decorate our school area. I was so excited I could hardly stand it! Then the day finally arrived. We were going to start school!

We sat down at our son's little table, which was a wonderful fit for him. I felt like my knees were up around my ears, but that was fine. We were going to have fifteen minutes of school time, which would hopefully satisfy his insatiable appetite for learning for a bit longer than that so that I could take a bit of a mental break. So we began...

After about fifteen minutes, I told him that we were done for the day. Well, he had other ideas. That first day of school we covered a week's worth of lessons. It really was exciting to see him devour the information, but at the same time I got a little concerned. It only took him about six weeks to get through a full year of pre-school curriculum. It was at this point that I knew something funny was going on. Much praying ensued, along with the purchase of a full year's kindergarten curriculum. Our adventure had officially began!

Back to Living Waters Homeschool

No comments: