Saturday, July 6, 2013

A Good Day Starts the Night Before

There are many things that go into successful homeschooling.  As I've mentioned before, routines are a very important part of that success whether it's routines for school, housework, or cooking.  Another very important routine is the bedtime routine.  This is not only important for your children, but for you, too.

I used to have a terrible time getting to sleep at night.  I'd stay up until whenever I was done with whatever I was doing and then try to get to sleep.  The next day I'd feel like, well, something the cat dragged in.  It was not a good thing.  Then I decided to get myself into a good bedtime routine.  At first it was a little difficult to exercise that self-discipline, but it's been well worth it.  Now, once I start that routine, my body starts to relax and my mind starts settling down (usually).  Where it used to take me forever to fall asleep, now I am able to fall asleep within a more normal period of time.  It really has been a blessing for me.

Bedtime routines are a wonderful gift we can give our children as well.  It will take some getting used to for everyone involved, but it will be worth the effort.  Baths, bedtime stories, and snuggling can all be part of your child's routine.  Once they become accustomed to it they will look forward to it and will be able to settle down quite nicely. 

Now, I know that not every child will take to this like a duck to water.  There are always exceptions and special circumstances.  But if simple routines can be introduced, I believe any child can eventually follow and benefit from them.  As with everything homeschool, make it a fun, enjoyable time for you and your family.  Everyone will have a better chance at getting a good night's sleep so your days can be better.

No comments: